We are all aware of the importance of Camp Dennison during the Civil War, but this community was in existence before and after the camp was dismantled. One structure in this community stands out - The Camp Dennison United Methodist Church. The following information is from its website

Worshipers first met in the cabin of local resident Henry Stroman in 1806. There were no pews, no choir and no organ. Services rotated between homes in the community and the school for the next 40 years. In 1845, a permanent church was proposed. It was located on the east side of Glendale Milford Road, just below the Camp Dennison Cemetery. Local resident, Mathias Kugler, donated the land, contributed nearly half the cost and supervised the construction. The simple building was constructed for $1,000.00.

In 1861, as the country entered into civil war, the Union Army established a military training and hospital in Camp Dennison. Since it was right in the middle of the camp, the church took on a new role. A group of Sisters of Charity, led by Sister Anthony O'Connell, came to the camp to nurse and cook for the sick soldiers. The Sisters tookup residence in the church. Another member of the group, Sister Bernadine, described how they had used the pulpit for a storeroom, boards for tables and the floor for the rest.; Sister O'Connell and her group went on to care for injured soldiers in the field for both the Union and the Confederacy.

After the war, local residents moved back into the church. By 1868, proposals to move the church to a better location were underway. In late summer, the church was taken down piece by piece .. moved .. and rebuilt at its present location less than a mile away but on higher ground. As part of the move, 10 feet were added to the church's length and a cupola was built to house the bell. Total cost of the move was $850.00.